A quick guide to uploading your marks from the Student Success App in Aula to Universe, from a single link, or a main + submission link. It will direct you to guidance to support:
- Mapping assessment items;
- How to deselect students;
- How to merge/separately upload marks safely from the main and the extension submission.
Uploading marks to universe using grades from a single submission link
This video provides an overview of how to Export Grades to Universe from Aula from a single submission item. (NB. You will need to have linked your assignment to an assessment item in order to export.)
Clicking on ‘Export’ on the relevant assessment item will reveal the grade export panel in which you can review the grades for each student before exporting to Universe.
These provide additional information about the status of each assignment and help you make the correct decision about what should be exported for each student.
- Not submitted: There is no submission available
- Late submission: The student submitted their assignment after the due to date
- Not graded: A submission is present but it has not yet been graded.
Use the grade override options in the drop-down menu on the right to adjust the values to be exported as required.
Grade override options
- Do not export: Choosing this option will exclude this student entirely from the export.
- Not submitted: This is equivalent to AB or Absent in the previous Moodle-Universe plugin. Use this for non-submission or non-attendance at exam.
Upload error codes
There are 12 specific error codes, actions for all codes are noted below:
Error Code 1.
|This student is not associated with this module in Universe.|
Please contact Faculty Registry to rectify.
|Contact the module leader. If unable to rectify, contact faculty Registry.|
|Error Code 2.||A non-numeric mark already exists in Universe for this student and cannot be overwritten. If you believe this to be in error, please contact the course administrator.||As specified in the error message.|
|Error Code 3.||(grade) is not a valid value for (assessment item name). Refer to the module spec to identify the correct grade type for this assessment and view Aula help centre article (https://aula.zendesk.com/hc/en-us for further guidance).||a) Check the Module Spec for the appropriate grade type b) Check the Aula help centre article (https://aula.zendesk.com/hc/en-us) . C) Contact Faculty Registry|
|Error Code 4.||Network: Error: read ECONNRESET.||This is CU network issue. Try rebooting your device.|
|Error Code 5||You do not have the required permissions to update this grade. To request access to Universe, please seek approval from your line manager.||your line manager should complete the relevant form to request and approve access to Universe, emailing the form to email this to email@example.com|
|Error Code 6.||This mark has been ratified at board, and may only be overwritten by Chair’s Action. Please contact Faculty Registrar.||as stated.|
|Error Code 7.||You do not have the required permissions to update this grade. To request access to Universe, please seek approval from your line manager.||As Error Code 5|
|Error code 8.||10097 Record already exists.||tbc.|
|Error Code 9.||Specified component does not exist in module or is not available for amendment through the web service.||raise an IT ticket FAO the learning systems team.|
|Error Code 10.||10097 Error – Getting Regulation for student 9815870||tbc|
|Error Code 11.||Error retrieving module: Cohort not found. Please refer to Faculty Registry.||as stated.|
|Error Code 12.||This mark has been carried forward and cannot be amended.||tbc|
Uploading marks from a resit link
To upload marks from a resit link, follow the same process as uploading from the single submission link. In the Student Success App, first map the resit link to the correct assessment item in the Assessment Items box at the top.
To do this, select the assignment that the resit was connected to (what it was a resit OF), click on it, and then select the ‘Composed of’ drop down menu next to the original submission. Navigate the drop down menu to find and select your resit submission and click Save. You have now mapped your resit to the correct assessment item. From here, proceed with the export process as usual.
A clear walkthrough by Philip McCosker can be found here: https://livecoventryac-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/aa9137_coventry_ac_uk/ET58g3DA059Jn-yWI1taVg0BO2lPIdoU_8VmagwInWGZ3g?e=rcOpKF
Uploading marks from a main plus an extension link
Context: the University’s recommendation is that module leads set up two assignment links for each assessment. The first for main submissions and those made during the 24 hour automatic extension period, the second for all full extensions.
Upload of marks to Universe happens through the ‘assessment item’ to which assignments are mapped. With the above context it is not possible to map two separate assignments to one ‘assessment item’ and merge the marks. When more than one assignment is mapped to an ‘assessment item’ they are seen as ‘elements’ of a component and awarded a percentage split of the overall grade. You therefore have to create a single manual assignment in the Student Success App which is linked to the correct assessment item, and upload grades from both the main and the extension submission through this manual assignment.
How to Merge grades from the two assignments (main plus extension) through use of a ‘manual assignment’.
- Click on the Green + to create and name a ‘manual assignment’ in Student Success App (be aware that students will be able to see this) (https://aula.help/en/articles/4046840-set-up-and-use-the-student-success-app).
- Map the ‘manual assignment’ to the ‘assessment item’
- Guidance on mapping assignments to ‘assessment item’ – https://www.loom.com/share/0b2fb7a2074547728752dcd1be000102
- Uploading grades to manual assignment
- Step 1: Download csv file of the marks from the original assignment link and upload to your newly created ‘manual assignment in the Student Success App.
- Step 2: Download csv file from the extensions assignment. Edit this file so it only contains students with a grade. This is important – if the main submission students are not removed from this file, their zero grade from the extension will override your first upload in Universe.
- Step 3: upload the edited extensions assignment csv file to the new ‘manual assignment’
- Export grades from the ‘manual assignment’ to Universe from both csv files.
- As a reminder, here is the Guidance on exporting grades to Universe again